Old Drogheda Society
The Annagassan and District Historical Society, have requested us to circulate details of their Killally and Milltown History Walk
Sunday 7th September at 2:30pm
Our next history walk, which covers about 3km, visits the following areas:
· The Bellew Memorial Tower, which was occupied by the Grangebellew Volunteers during Easter week 1916
· Thornogs, a small hamlet of houses. We will view old photos to see it as it was in the past.
· Killally Moat where plans were made for the 1798 Rebellion
· Killally House - described in 1656 as "Killally with a fair stone house and Tuck mill".
· Milltown House - a thatched house dating probably from the 18th century to which Napper Tandy was a visitor.
· Milltown Corn Mill - first mentioned as a water-powered corn mill in 1340.
Please assemble on the road beside the Bellew Memorial tower. This may be reached by driving straight through Grangebellew cross coming from the Dunleer side. Turn left at the T-junction which is 200 metres beyond the cross. The tower is 500 metres down this road on the left. Wear walking boots or strong footwear. We will provide refreshments during the walk, which costs €5 (children are free). All are welcome!
Old Drogheda Society - History, Archaeology & HeritageMillmount, Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland. Tel. 041-9833097